VALAURIA – VALORIA – VALLORIA – The oldest forms of the name – they date back to VALLIS AUREA, the Valley of Gold, the beautiful valley.
VALAURIA around 1050 – VALERIA 1184 –
The commune of Valloire contains around twenty hamlets, stretching the length of the valleys of Valloirette and Neuvachette.
Valloire Church – hamlets and chapels
Built between 1630 and 1682 on the site of a smaller church, it was constructed from local stone in the style known as “Italian Baroque” for its architcture and its decoration.
The 17 hamlets of Valloire contain a series of chapels that each have their defining characteristics (please check with the Tourist Office before visiting as some chapels may be closed).
Other historical curiosities
Sundials: Le Serroz, Le Poingt Ravier, Le Presbytère, Les Verneys, etc.
The Way of the Cross at Saint Rozaire (near the ice rink)
The Le Télégraphe Fort
In summer, you can visit the Le Télégraphe Fort with Jacky Martin and Laurent Demouzon, 2 Savoie Mont Blanc heritage guides who give guided tours dressed in 1940s military uniform:
“This is where the battle against Italy was won during the last war – it’s a place of great historical importance”, admits Jacky Martin, Savoie Mont Blanc heritage guide.